For Seriously Salty Sailors and Thirsty Connoisseurs Alike
For mixologists, salt is versatile. It can add a whole new dimension to a rather ordinary drink or it can remain subtle and help bring balance to other ingredients. Whether you’re in the kitchen or behind a bar, sometimes it’s the most common thing that can make the biggest difference. Salt makes you salivate. It enhances sour and it blocks bitterness. Here are three amazing salty cocktails that you must sip.
1) Salty Dog: Sometimes the best things are the simplest things. Behold the Salty Dog. One part gin and two parts grapefruit juice shaken in ice and strained into a rocks glass rimmed with salt. Woof!
- 2 oz gin
- 3 oz grapefruit juice
- Salt for the rim of the glass
2) The Salt and Sea: Fresh cucumbers and cilantro with a dash of salt. Add vodka and this is a summertime salad that you can drink. Simply combine all the ingredients in a shaker with ice and serve!
- 2 oz vodka
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 3/4 oz simple syrup
- 3 cucumber slices
- 4-6 cilantro leaves
- Pinch of sea salt
3) The Busy Bee: This well balanced drink packs a little something extra with a subtle dash of salt. Shake all the ingredients with ice then strain in a chilled glass. Garnish with a sprig or rosemary. Enjoy!
- 2 oz gin
- 1⁄2 oz salted cucumber juice
- 1⁄2 oz honey
- 1⁄4 oz lemon juice