Day Drinking, Yay!
Daytime cocktails are perfect way to enjoy a vacation, and let’s face it, they can be a pretty damn near perfect way to enjoy every other day! From breakfast and brunch to power lunch, here are five cocktails that taste spectacular no matter what time it is. As the saying goes, “It’s five o’clock somewhere in the world!” Please enjoy responsibly.
1) The Caesar: Quite possibly the most popular drink in Canada aside from a strong beer. The Caesar can be a meal or a mid-day snack all by itself depending on the variety of garnishes your bartender loads into the glass. Here are the basics:
2 oz vodka
1/2 tsp celery salt (mix in or rim glass)
1 cup Clamato
3-4 dashes worcestershire sauce
3-4 dashes tabasco or to taste
1/2 lime -juiced
1 tsp horseradish
pinch black pepper
picked green beans, salami (yeah that’s right) celery stalks, olives and more are all possible garnishes for this one!
2) The Bloody Mary: The iconic beverage of American brunches from San Francisco to Boston. Oddly enough there are more recipes and variations than any other drink I know. Here’s a basic, tried-and-true one:
2 oz tomato juice
1.5 oz vodka
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon grated horseradish
Tabasco to taste
1 pinch salt.
1 pinch ground black pepper (garnish)
3) The Garibaldi: Sipping this Italian cocktail reminds me that summer is the time to relac and enjoy life. Served in a tall water glass this looks as good as it tastes.
1.5 oz Campari
3.5 oz Orange juice
2 oz Proseco
1 slice Orange (garnish)
4) The Painkiller: Originally from the British Virgin Islands this is perhaps the smoothest cocktail ever created. With all that pineapple and orange juice, it’s breakfast in a glass!
2 oz of rum (preferably Pusser’s)
4 oz of pineapple juice
1 oz of cream of coconut
1 oz orange juice
fresh grated nutmeg (garnish)
5) The Moscow Mule: Here’s the only welcome Russian interference I like in my day! This classic ginger beer and vodka based cocktail will kick-start any occasion.
2 oz. Vodka
Juice from 1/2 lime but you can add more for taste
Bottle of ginger beer (Fever Tree or Gosling’s are the best)
Ice in a copper mug (if you’ve got one handy)
Slice of lime and mint (garnish)